How to create a desktop icon for the KidZui Add-on for Firefox
Windows and Linux users can launch the KidZui Add-on for Firefox without opening the Firefox browser first (we regret that this option is not available to Mac OS-X users at this time). To do so, the following parameter must be added to the command line when launching Firefox:
To create a desktop icon in Windows that will automatically open KidZui Classic, please follow the steps below (please note that this switch does not work with KidZui K2).
- Right-click on the Mozilla Firefox icon on your desktop and select Copy.
- Right-click on any empty space on your desktop and click Paste. This will create an identical copy of your Firefox icon. Right-click on this icon and select Rename, then type KidZui.
- Right-click on your new KidZui icon and select Properties from the menu.
- Once the Properties window opens, click on the Shortcut tab.
Locate the Target field, then click on it and press the End key on your keyboard. Press the space bar, then enter the following information: -kidzuiautostart
The information in the Target field should look similar to the following:
”C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” –kidzuiautostart
Please note that the information that appears in quotes may differ depending on your version of Windows and the location which you installed Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the OK button to save your changes.
The icon will now launch the KidZui add-on automatically each time it is clicked.
To create your desktop or menu bar shortcut, please add the following command line to your shortcut:
Creating a desktop/menu bar icon that will launch KidZui K2 takes some additional steps. If you currently have the K2 add-on installed, we recommend removing the add-on before proceeding. To remove the add-on, open Firefox, then click the Tools menu, select Add-ons, and then remove the K2 addon.
Follow the instructions below to create your icon:
- Download the Kidzui K2 Add-On by right clicking on Accept and Install and select save link as from the menu
- Navigate to the file kidzui_k2-1.0-fx.xpi and open it with your archiver (dont extract it, just open it)
- Navigate to \defaults\preferences* and open kidzui-prefs.js*
- Locate the line that says: pref("extensions.kidzui.startup", false);
- Change "false" to "true" (do not include the quotations marks)
- Save and close the file. You may have to verify the save
- Exit the archiver
- Install the add-on by dragging the kidzui_k2-1.0-fx.xpi file into an open Firefox window
- Select install
- Once the installation has completed, restart Firefox
- How do I download and install KidZui on my computer?
- What are the system requirements for KidZui?
- I received a message that said I don't have permission to install KidZui
- The KidZui Installer doesn't open on my Mac. How can I install KidZui?
- I installed the KidZui K2 browser, but I prefer the KidZui Classic browser. Can I still use that version?
- View all (1 more)
- Flash Errors
- My desktop icons disappeared after I used KidZui
- When my child tries to play a game, all we see is a blank white screen.
- How to create a desktop icon for the KidZui Add-on for Firefox
- My screen saver does not load when KidZui is open. How do I prevent image persistence?
- View all (1 more)